School Readiness Program:
For Children Who Start School Next Year
Live Too Far Away?
Ask about a Skype
This is a professional speech-language pathology small group program designed to teach the essential speech, language and pre-literacy skills needed for school entry.
Weekly one hour sessions will introduce your child to basic concepts, vocabulary, questioning, sentence structures, word forms, story language, alphabet concepts and age appropriate sound awareness for literacy development.
Lessons will be play-based and fun!
Groups are limited to a maximum of 3 children.
If you answer YES to ANY (not all) of the following, then this program is for your child:
* My child has been slow to develop language skills
* My child was late to start talking compared to siblings and/or friends
* My child speaks in very short sentences and is hard to follow in conversation
* My child doesn't answer questions appropriately
* My child has a poor vocabulary
* My child has had a problem with middle ear infections
* My child has trouble telling us things and understanding us
Individualised assessments and support may be provided for children who have difficulty with:
speech sound production
comprehension of spoken language
speaking in full sentences
writing and constructing text
Skype sessions are ideal for people who are unable to attend the clinic for different reasons. This may be due to distance, illness, large families or work commitments.
Reading and Spelling Programs:
For Primary School Children, from Prep to Grade 6
Speech Plus Speech Pathology has developed a series of professional small group programs that progress from the early stages of initial sounds and phonics to the more complex areas of spelling multisyllabic words and using prefixes and suffixes.
Your child will be assesed and placed in the most appropriate program for him or her. Programs introduce concepts sequentially and allow for repetition and consolidation. They teach the listening and discrimination skills that struggling students often lack. Students work through programs on a term by term basis with regular review and feedback so you are always aware of the level that your child is working at and they are always being stimulated to work to the best of their ability.
Lessons will include multisensory stimulating group activities to make learning a positive experience for all. Groups are limited to a maximum of 3 students.
If you answer YES to ANY (not all) of the following, then these programs are for your child:
* My child has trouble remembering what letters to use for different sounds
* My child mixes up their vowel sounds
* My child remembers words for spelling lists and then forgets them when he's writing
* My child has always been behind with reading and spelling
* My child is just a little bit behind but I'm worried that he or she won't catch up
* My child has had a lot of problems with middle ear infections
* My child has auditory processing difficulties
* I think my child has dyslexia
* My child understands everything but can't read or spell
This program is NOT for students who can read well but have difficulty understanding what they read. A reading comprehension program may be introduced in the near future. Please contact us if you are interested in this program.
This program is NOT for students who can spell well but have difficulty writing stories. A writing program may be introduced in the near future. Please contact us if you are interested in this program.